Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Bloomin'

Bloomin' Mother's Day CardI just love the Bloomin' Beautiful set! Here's the second Mother's Day card that I made. This one showcases the
Ginger Blossoms DSP.

I really like using patterned paper on my cards. It's just a really fast, easy way to "kick it up a notch." Almost all of my cards, before signing up to be a demo, used patterned paper. But since becoming a demo I've made a conscious effort to NOT use as much DSP. I want to learn how to use my stamps to make my own coordinating "patterned papers."

The work of many talented ladies out there has inspired me to go beyond my "comfort zone" and keep on trying new things. If you're like me and always reach for that patterned paper when making a card, I challenge you to try making your own! You might be pleasantly surprised at how much you like it.

I think the easiest way to get started is to take an image from whatever set you're using and randomly stamp it on your card stock in Versamark. Sometimes that's all you need to add a little dimension to a card.

Another thing I've discovered - I LOVE Stampin' Up!'s background stamps. They're perfectly sized for a regular 4.25" x 5.5" card. And you can use them singly or together to create some really awesome "patterned papers." I'll work up a sample to show you what I mean.

But for now - take the challenge and try something you've never done before! Step out of your stamping comfort zone. Try one of the following -
  • Add more layers - or get creative with "shaped" layers
  • Add some distressing - this could include: replacing straight edges with torn edges; sponging some ink on the edges; crumpling and smoothing mat layers; using the Cutter Kit to make rough edges.
  • Make your own patterned paper - this could include: randomly stamping on colored card stock in versamark; using a background stamp with coordinating ink and card stock; combining 2 or more background stamps in several colors; combining a background stamp with other randomly stamped images
Have fun and let me know what you come up with!

God Bless!
Jessica

Stamps - Bloomin' Beautiful; Paper - Ginger Blossoms DSP, Groovy Guava, Ruby Red, Whisper White; Ink - Groovy Guava, Ruby Red, Basic Gray, Wild Wasabi, Versamark; Accessories - Groovy Guava double-stitched ribbon, Ticket Corner punch, Embossing Buddy, Clear EP, Heat Tool

No comments: